Did you know that some of the best photographs are never displayed? I can hear you ask “why?”. The simple answer is this: photographers just don’t have the time to edit them the way they would like. Those time-wasting inefficient edits never seem to end and can cause photographers to become increasingly dissatisfied with their work in the constant strive for perfection.
What makes Luminar AI different?
Focussed on end result rather than the editing process, Luminar AI does the heavy lifting but uses your imagination and creativity. It's definitely not a follow up of Luminar 4.
Luminar AI is jam packed with features that enhance the Luminar experience. Templates that enable you to show your creative vision at its best, features that enhance landscapes, portraits and more. It makes this addition to the Luminar family perfect for use with your Xpozer!
Ever had an image in your head but the hours of editing just don't get you to where you want to be and you settle for a simple edit. Those days are over, with a few simple clicks and slides your creative vision can come to life. Templates are what makes Luminar AI so unique, with the click of a button you transform your whole image. Templates are a combination of presets (looks) and tools, combined with AI to get the best out of your photo and they are adaptable to your unique creative vision. How are templates going to help you get the best out of your print and how does it work?
Luminar AI has a number of templates all ready to go. But if you want to make your own, that's quite easy too.
Just follow these steps:
- On the top side of your Luminar AI window, click 'Edit'.
- Make desired changes to your photo by using the sliders on the right side of the window. (more on that later)
- On the bottom right of the window, you'll see the 3-dotted menu button, next to the name of your template (which is an autogenerated name that can be changed later on). Click that, then click 'save'. Your edits are saved into a template.
- To use your template, go to the top side of your window and click 'Templates', which is right next to the 'Edit' button you've used before.
- Find your template on the right hand side of the window by clicking on the star button and selecting 'User Templates'. I'd recommend renaming the template for future reference. Click the 3-dotted menu button next to the new template and choose 'rename'.
- Your templates are listed on the right of the window. If you want to use your template regularly, click the heart button ♡ next to it. This adds the template to your favorites. Favorites are always shown above the list, to make them easy to find. Rather watch a video tutorial than following these steps? Check out this one Luminar made on saving templates!
As you can see, from the examples given, the difference in photos is striking. The templates enhance the features of the images, creating something clear and unique that would take hours of editing with other pieces of software.
Best features for landscapes
Large landscapes always look beautiful on the wall. But, what if the weather didn't cooperate on the day you wanted to take that perfect photo. When you hang your picture you want your picture to be perfect.
Maybe you are already familiar with the Sky replacement tool in Luminar 4. This handy tool makes it easy to make a boring sky interesting. The AI Luminar has built, knows where the sky in your photo is, and you can replace it with another sky with just one click. It uses its own library of skies, or you can add your own sky photo to use to 'upgrade' your photos. With Luminar AI, they have gone a step further and made it possible to not only replace the sky, but also let (water) reflections change accordingly! How? Follow these steps:
- On the top side of your Luminar AI window, click 'Edit'.
- Click the paint palette button to open the 'creative' options.
- Choose Sky AI and pick a sky. To add your own, select "Load Custom Sky Image" from the dropdown menu.
Whatever you do, make sure to check the transition between the foreground and the AI generated changes to the sky. When printing your photo on a large sized Xpozer, tiny mistakes the AI may have made will be very visible, and once you see them ... Well, you might be a bit annoyed. Use the sliders in the Sky AI menu you've used to pick your sky, and use them well. Zoom in and check the horizon and check the reflections. If they're not to your liking, slide those sliders some more until the replaced sky and added reflections are all as if they were actually there when you clicked the shutter button.
Ever missed your alarm and missed out on a foggy morning or got inspired by the scenery you captured? Atmosphere AI allows you to add a touch of magic to your images.
You get the option to choose from Fog, Layered Fog, Mist and Haze. You have full control over the amount, depth and lightness. These sliders allow you to go crazy and put together a surreal and mysterious fog or natural to create a serene and calming landscape.
You can find the Atmosphere AI tab under the "Creative Menu" (paint palette button).
Ever had a hard time choosing your composition? It is key to an intriguing photo which is probably why it's the first item on the "Essentials Menu". By clicking the Composition AI button Luminar's AI determines the best possible composition in your image. After it's selected you can alter the composition/crop to suit your creative vision.
The Composition tab also gives you the option to alter the perspective of your image, rotate and straighten as well as an Image 3D Transform option.
Top tip: The 3D Transform option is also very useful for adding height to your models.
Luminar's Landscape tab under the "Essentials Menu" isn't new but definitely worth a mention. It gives you the option to dehaze an image, getting back some of the details that might've gotten lost in the fog or haze to strengthen the impact of your photo.
The Golden Hour slider is there to enhance the warm tones in your photo into warm golden tones, really giving your image that sunset glow with a simple slider.
The Foliage Enhancer is there to bring back the greens in all the foliage, sometimes the white balance can be hard to perfect for each detail in your image, this slider ensures the foliage in your image doesn't get lost in translation.
Best features for Portraits
You can find all the Portrait features under the Portrait AI menu.
One of the most important things in a portrait is the model's eyes. You quickly get the emotion and the atmosphere that is portrayed from the eyes of the model. It is therefore important that the eyes are sharp and are light enough. At Skylum they have come up with a handy trick for this. The artificial intelligence, AI, recognizes where the eyes are within the photo and allows you to adjust this precisely with the help of a few sliders.
Sometimes you might lack some light in the eyes meaning some details and color gets lost, you can easily resolve this by choosing the correct color from the drop-down menu and using the iris visibility slider to determine the strength of this effect. Then, you can add a small flare to the iris to really make them stand out. If the eyes are slightly out of focus, use the eye enhance slider to bring back the detail and sharpness. Always make sure you under edit a little to keep the eyes natural.
Once you've enhanced the eyes you can improve the brows slightly to frame the eyes which will make them stand out more and pull the focus towards the models eyes.
Another important feature is the mouth tab. Here Luminar's AI automatically detects the mouth and teeth. Giving you the option to add saturation, darken the lips and whiten the teeth.
With this tool you can smooth the skin without losing detail. The AI is so advanced that you can easily make this adjustment with just a slide, where this takes considerably more time with other software. The results are natural and the AI recognizes natural features such as freckles.
Ever did a portrait shoot on a hot and sunny day? Yeah we feel your pain, editing out the shine can take ages and sometimes even causes clipping. With a simple slider you can get rid of the shine instead of having to manually recover the detail.
Skin Defects Removal
All you have to do to activate this feature is click a box. The AI automatically recognizes the imperfections and uses the eraser tool to retouch them.
Don't judge a tool by it's cover... While the sliders in this tool are Shape and Abdomen this tool has a positive side and isn't simply to make everyone look the same and fit the "slim" Image. It allows you to correct some imperfections in your image. Not putting the focus on your models figure but on the pose and quality of the photo. Personally I've found this tool very useful to perfect a dancers pose.
Last steps for the perfect Xpozer
1. After editing, leave your computer and check your edited photos again a few hours later, or even later if you must. When editing, at some point, you just lose a bit of your focus. When leaving it for some time and coming back to it later, you will see new things you might want to change or improve.
2. Make sure to check all the AI has done for you. Because the AI is very good, nothing is ever perfect, right? Some photos are just more difficult for the AI to 'read' than others. So, check everything and make sure there are no mistakes that will make you go "AAarghhh" every time you look at your Xpozer.
3. Make sure there are no more spots in your photo. If your lens was not perfectly clean during your photo shoot, even the tiniest dust or fluff particles can easily result in nasty spots in your photo. When your photo is enlarged, guess what happens to these spots? Yes, they will be HUGE, and drive you crazy when looking at your print every day. Okay, maybe not totally crazy, but at least it would be kind of annoying, right?